5 of my most-used kitchen gadgets

The more I cook, the more unique cooking gadgets seem to accumulate in my kitchen. Some have been impulse purchases for which the novelty has worn off over time, and others have become essential tools in my kitchen arsenal. This post will focus on the latter: my favorite kitchen gadgets that I can't live without.

My five well-worn gadgets of the day.
  1. Mandoline slicer: If you do a lot of chopping and don't have a mandoline slicer yet, take a moment to ponder how much precious free time you have wasted on unevenly slicing vegetables. Don't worry, I didn't know what I was missing either. I bought my first mandoline slicer about 4 or 5 years ago when I decided to start making veggie chips and needed a super-thin, even cut. The one I bought has 6 settings, ranging from thick to super-thin slices, 
    as well as two mandoline cuts. I use it for everything. Beware of cuts, however, and consider investing in some cut-resistant gloves if you're clumsy like me (and refuse to use the included finger guard). Here's a link to the latest version of the mandoline slicer I bought (pictured below being dangerously used by me).
  2. My mandoline slicer in action while I made Quinoa Taboulleh
  3. Handheld juicer: So many recipes call for lemon or lime juice, and nothing beats fresh squeezed. A handheld juice press is the most efficient, simple option for juicing citrus fruits in small quantities, so it's a must have. I have this one, which is really affordable, but if you can afford to splurge, this fancy one looks like it can squeeze out every last drop.

    My juicer in action
  4. Nut milk bag: Did you catch my recent #TBT post on making your own nut milk? If you want to get serious about making homemade milks, a nut milk bag is the only way to go. You can try to drain your milk with cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer, but that will either leave some liquid behind or a grainy texture in the milk (ick!). But with a nut milk bag, you can easily squeeze all of the milk you created, leaving all of the pulp behind. The experience is oddly similar to milking a cow, which I've never actually done, but I imagine this is the vegan equivalent. If that description wasn't too weird for you, check out this affordable nut milk bag and try it for yourself.
    My nut milk bag
  5. Mini blender: For blending jobs too small to warrant the use of a blender or food processor, there is nothing quite like a mini blender. Cleanup is easy and the uses are endless. Most come with both a blending and grinding blade, and several differently sized cups. I have the Magic Bullet, but hear great things about the Nutri Bullet as well.
    My mini blender making the dressing for Quinoa Taboulleh
  6. Goggles: I've been using goggles to chop onions way before Phil did it on modern family. My eyes are extremely sensitive and no other trick has worked to keep them tear-free while I cook. I use a pair of regular swim goggles, but you can buy Phil's fancy onion goggles here
    Proof that I am a nerd.
There you have it. Five things my kitchen would be incomplete without. I could write a book on my favorite cooking gadgets, however, so look for many more posts on this topic!

What are your cooking essentials? Let me know in the comments!


0 comments:

Post a Comment