Roasted Kale Chips Recipe

Kale is one of those vegetables that can do no wrong. It's both nutrient-dense and versatile in recipes. My personal favorite uses are to either steam it and cover it with sauces and stews, or dehydrate/bake it into a crispy chip. Today I'll be sharing a quick and simple way to make a crunchy side dish of kale while you're preparing a meal. All you need is some kale, and any oil/seasonings that you like. This recipe is oven-baked, but stay tuned if you have a dehydrator, I have plenty of kale recipes for that!

Roasted Kale Chips Recipe

Ingredients (Serves 4-6)

  • 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and cut into small pieces
    • I often use a bag of trader joe's organic tuscan kale, as I did in this post. Even with ready-to-go kale, however, you can de-stem a little further if you want just the leaves. I skipped that step this time, but I do it when I have more time, and recommend it!
  • Just enough oil to coat the kale, about 1/2 - 2tbs.
    • I often use olive oil, sometimes sesame or coconut when I'm going for a different flavor. Any oil will do!
  • Seasonings to taste 
    • I just used sea salt and crushed pepper today. I've done this with lemon pepper, sesame seeds, a little lemon or lime juice, 

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 250° F. (You can do 300° F or possibly higher if you're in a hurry or baking something at a different temp, just be prepared to check the oven often to avoid burning.)
  2. Prepare your kale, and toss in a bowl with the oil and seasonings until coated evenly. I use my Misto sprayer to use as little oil as possible while still evenly coating the chips. That's why I'm not sure exactly how much I'm using :)
  3. Spread the kale evenly on a baking sheet or two, and bake for 15-20 minutes until crispy. Check the oven often and rearrange the chips if necessary to insure even baking. The exact time will depend on your oven, the temperature you bake it at, and how much oil you used, so the first time you make these you'll figure out what works best for you.
  4. When they're done, remove from the oven and enjoy immediately! If you manage to have any leftovers, store them in the refrigerator and reheat in the oven at 200° F. 


I made these while I cooked Happy Herbivore's Caribbean Sweet Potatoes (which is one of my favorite recipes for using up apples). That recipe is from Everyday Happy Herbivore, which can be found here.

Have a beautiful Sunday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment