Black Bean Tofu Scramble

I love to cook, and while I frequently make modifications to recipes, I very rarely create my own from scratch. This morning I decided to make an exception and throw together a tofu scramble with what I had lying around. The result was a very versatile recipe that can easily be adapted to suit whatever is currently in your kitchen!

I had one half of a twin pack of organic sprouted tofu from Trader Joe's, some veggies, spices, and an onion. Here's what I came up with:



Ingredients (fills 8 tortillas)

  • 1 tbsp olive oil (or 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth, if you are limiting fats)
  • 1/2 onion, diced (roughly 1 cup, and I used red)
  • 2/3 cup bell pepper, chopped (any variety, I used a frozen mix)
  • 1 jalapeño, diced (optional, and can be seeded to lower heat - but I like it spicy!)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (I adore frozen Dorot cubes)
  • 7.5 oz tofu, drained and pressed
  • 1/2 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tbsp chili powder
  • salt and pepper (or other seasonings) to taste
  • Tortillas
  • Your favorite salsa (Mine is Trader Joe's habanero and lime) 
  • Toppings of your choice (spinach, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, etc!)
This recipe can easily be doubled if you have more tofu and veggies on hand, and most anything can be tweaked to suit your tastes.

Method

  1. Drain the tofu and slice into 1-2 inch thick slabs. Set a few layers of paper towels on a plate, lay the tofu on top, and cover with more paper towels and another plate. This will "press" the tofu and the paper towels will absorb any excess moisture. Let this sit for a few minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.


  2. Discard the paper towels and mash the tofu with a fork, until crumbly.
  3. Heat the oil (or substitute) in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion, peppers, garlic, jalapeño (if using), and a few dashes of salt. Saute for 2-3 minutes.

  4. Add the tofu, spices, and black beans and stir to combine. Cook for another 3-5 minutes, then remove from heat and season to taste.

  5. Warm the tortillas with your preferred method (I like heating them straight over a flame)

  6. Fill each tortilla with scramble and top with salsa. Then add whatever other toppings you like! I chopped some spinach and cherry tomatoes, but I can't wait to try this with avocado!

Want to try this recipe? Have any questions or suggestions? Let me know in the comments!


Nutrition (Per 1/8 serving, scramble only)


  • Calories: 78
  • Total Fat: 3.4 g
    • Saturated: 0.6 g
    • Polyunsaturated: 0.2 g
    • Monounsaturated: 1.3 g
    • Trans: 0 g
  • Cholesterol: 0mg
  • Sodium: 160.5 mg
  • Potassium: 46.7 mg
  • Carbs: 8.1 g
    • Fiber: 2.2 g
    • Sugars: 1.4 g
  • Protein: 4.6 g
  • Vitamin A: 12.2%
  • Vitamin C: 34.9%
  • Calcium: 7.5%
  • Iron: 6.3%


0 comments:

Post a Comment