Mediterranean Grilled Veggie Bowl with Tahini Sauce

I was a bit tired last night and trying to come up with a last-minute dinner that could use the leftover zucchini from this pasta, as well as the red pepper and eggplant I got at the farmers market on Sunday. I found this recipe, which I could make with a few substitutions, so I went for it. It is absolutely delicious and I suggest you try it if you enjoy mediterranean flavors. Rather than retype the recipe (maybe I'll update it later, but I don't have time today), here are the substitutions I made:



Mediterranean Grilled Veggie Bowl with Tahini Sauce (Adapted from Chow)

(Click the link if you want the original recipe, these are only the changes I made)
  • I didn't have roasted tahini, so I ground up some roasted sesame seeds. It was about 2 2/3 tablespoons to make 2 tablespoons of packed sesame seeds, and I just blended that right into the lemon juice and olive oil for the dressing. I also forgot the garlic, but didn't notice, and it was still fantastic.
  • I didn't have a shallot, so I used up 1/3 of a red onion I had leftover from a different recipe.
  • I used Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Blend instead of just couscous, because it's what was in my pantry. It's mostly couscous, but with a orzo, garbanzo beans, and red quinoa mixed in. Upgrade!
  • I also grilled up the leftover inside chunks of zucchini from yesterday's pasta adventure.
  • I sprayed the vegetables with my misto instead of brushing them, but who knows if this used less oil in the end. I sprinkled them with lemon pepper instead of just salt and pepper. It tasted very lemony (but not overly so) in the end, which I love.
  • Grilling took forever because I have a george foreman grill, but hopefully that helped with the oil problem.
  • I also didn't have fresh parsley, so I threw in a tablespoon and a half of dried.
The result was so delicious, it was addictive, and I had to fight the urge to eat the rest right out of the pan. It was the perfect end to an exhausting day.


Not a very exciting post for today, but I promise I'll make it up to you tomorrow with marinated portobello mushroom burgers! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment